The Friday Five
Five Things To Do While in Town for ABA TECHSHOW
In last week’s Friday Five we trumpeted the big shows lined up for the coming conference season. As the official countdown begins for ABA TECHSHOW, March 29-31, in Chicago, the profession’s top tech gurus are polishing up their PowerPoints and packing their back-up chargers for an intense three days of tech education. But it’s not all nose-to-the-laptop for presenters—or attendees. So we asked show veteran Andrea Cannavina to recommend a few worthy extra-curricular activities.
Just for the Fun of It!
Because you can never have too much to do or too many good places to eat when in Chicago:
- LexThink. Twelve speakers, 20 slides, 6 minutes (that’s 18 seconds per slide). This fun and fast-paced event is free (but you must have a ticket) and held Wednesday, March 28, from 7 to 10 p.m. at the Chicago Hilton. Click here to learn more or grab a ticket.
- Museum Campus. Should your flight leave late on Saturday, consider taking a walk to Chicago’s Museum Campus, home to the Field Museum of Natural History, Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium. I was fortunate to have extra time a few years back, and was invited to the Shedd by Solosezzers Alan Klevan (who’s quite a scuba diver and fish man) and Allison Shields. Be forewarned, though. You’ll want to bring a bottle of water with you, because it’s all around and not a drop to ….
- Buddy Guy’s Legend. Highly recommended by Solosezzer Gina Bongiovi and literally right behind the Chicago Hilton on Wabash, this blues joint is an institution and number one on my list for music after dinner on the 29th. Looks like we’ll be enjoying R.J. Mischo, described by Blues Review Magazine as the “king of a really good time!”
- Second City Comedy Club. If you make time to catch a show at Second City there’s a very good chance you’ll see one or more of the players on “Saturday Night Live” one day.
- Beer for Bloggers. Held the Friday of ABA TECHSHOW in the Chicago Hilton hotel lobby bar lounge area (far side of check in), this annual event hosted by Kevin O’Keefe of LexBlog fame always draws a crowd of interesting people who happen to blog (or like beer).
- The South Loop Club. Two blocks to the left out the side exit of the hotel, on the corner of State Street, this upscale dive has a great local bar feeling, with classic, well-made bar food. Whether for lunch or late night gathering—a perfect place to talk, laugh and relax.
- Yolk. Out the main entrance of the hotel, hook a right and walk about four blocks down on South Michigan Avenue. Quite possibly, one of the best breakfast spots in Chicago. Everything on the menu is fantastic … perfect for nursing that ABA TECHSHOW hangover.
- America’s Dog. According to my bud Chelsey over at Total Attorneys, the only place to grab a real Chicago hot dog is America’s Dog, in the Loop at 21 East Adams.
- Epic Burger. Enough said. And after you eat at this burger spot, the short walk back to the hotel will help you recover. Not your typical fast-food restaurant, the focus is on fresh, quality ingredients. Frequently named to Chicago’s best burger lists.
- If you haven’t signed up for Taste of TECHSHOW dinners, you can still get on the waiting list. Otherwise, Attorney at Work’s Chicago editors advise browsing Timeout Chicago and the Chicago Reader for good tips—and booking reservations now at hot spots (anything with the word “pig” or “goat” in the name). Venture into the hot Logan Square and Bucktown neighborhoods if downtown spots are full.
Andrea Cannavina is President/CEO of LegalTypist, Inc., and helps sole practitioners, law firms and companies which service the legal industry upgrade their business processes to digital in order to get more done with less—less employees, less equipment and less stress!
Sign up for Attorney at Work
Subscribe to the Daily Dispatch or Weekly Wrap for “One Really Good Idea Every Day” for enterprising lawyers.