Pop Quiz: Legal Technology
We sometimes think that the pace of change in the law is something recent. Or that the hot technologies are all recent innovations. When Simon Chester and Dan Pinnington looked back at the history of the ABA TECHSHOW for their presentation at the show’s 25th anniversary party, they were surprised at what they found. So, here to kick off your week, is a quiz. Tot up your answers and see how well you know the development of legal technology.
What Do You Know? Legal Technology Pop Quiz
In each case, we give you the theme of a presentation at ABA TECHSHOW and you pick the appropriate year. Good luck!
- Customized Document Completion in 8 Seconds: 1988 1997 2002
- Globalization of Legal Needs: Technology in a Borderless World: 1985 1996 2004
- The Coming Impact of Automated Document Production Systems: 1988 1992 2000
- Wireless Local Area Networks: 1994 2000 2005
- Social networking for lawyers through technology: 1986 1999 2005
And the correct answers are:
- Customized Document Completion in 8 Seconds: 1988 (with a shoot-out at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1993)
- Globalization of Legal Needs: Technology in a Borderless World: 1996
- The Coming Impact of Automated Document Production Systems: 1988
- Wireless Local Area Networks: 1994
- Social networking for lawyers through technology: 1986 (the launch of ABA/net)
How Did You Do?
4-5 – You’re an ABA TECHSHOW veteran
2-3 – Good – you’re guessing well or you’ve been to ABA TECHSHOW
0-1 – You need to be at ABA TECHSHOW next year!
Both Simon Chester and Dan Pinnington are past Chairs of ABA TECHSHOW.
Simon Chester is a business and litigation partner with Heenan Blaikie in Toronto. His career includes law teaching, government service and 25 years of private practice. A Fellow and past-President of the College of Law Practice Management, he has spoken on professional and technology issues to hundreds of groups in nine countries. Simon blogs at Slaw.