How do you follow through on law firm marketing and business development plans during a pandemic? Or … should you market your practice during a pandemic? For a quick minute this spring, that question didn’t seem so absurd.
A big thanks to our authors — in particular, Ruth Carter, Roy Ginsburg, Jay Harrington, Mark Homer, Tea Hoffmann, Mike Ramsey, Gina Rubel, Sally Schmidt, Teddy Snyder, Camille Stell, and volunteer-leaders of LMA — for stepping up to guide us along and offer a timely kick in the pants. As Will Rogers said: “Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
Count Down: The Top 20 Law Firm Marketing Posts of 2020
From Jay Harrington’s No. 1 post laying out a 30-day business development plan and Mike Ramsey’s step-by-step online marketing tips to Sally Schmidt and Gina Rubel, who flawlessly delivered on the fundamentals, here is our countdown of the top 20 legal marketing and business development articles published by Attorney at Work in 2020.
Dig in for advice to guide your strategy now and after the pandemic’s end. (And be sure to subscribe to Attorney at Work’s daily or weekly newsletter to keep up with the tips.)
19. “What Is Your Digital Marketing Strategy?“ by Mark Homer
18. “Five Tips for Networking From 6 Feet” by Camille Stell
17. “Quick Ways to Boost Your Visibility and Stay Top of Mind With Clients” by Laura Ernde
15. “How Are Law Firms Shifting Business Development Goals? Ask the Experts from LMA” featuring Amy Verhulst and Lisa Olney
14. “Five Lawyer Marketing Fundamentals”by Sally Schmidt
13. “Targeting an Industry Niche: 7 Steps to Build Your Expertise” by Sally Schmidt
12. “Books Every Lawyer Must Read Before Opening a Law Firm” by Ruth Carter
11. “Three Things to Do When There’s Not Enough Work” by Teddy Snyder
10. “Six Business Development Strategies for Lawyers” by Sally Schmidt
8. “LinkedIn Profile Update: How to Stand Out in 4 Simple, Achievable Steps” by Tea Hoffmann
7. “Local Marketing: 5 Tips to Get More Clients Now and After the COVID-19 Shutdown” by Mike Ramsey (Plus video)
6. “5 Business Development Mistakes Lawyers Make (and What to Do Instead)” by Jay Harrington
5. “10 Tips for a More Effective, Personable Attorney Bio” by Gina Rubel
4. “Don’t Fall for Spammy Lawyer Awards and Rankings Submissions” by Laura Ernde
3. “Is Your Crisis Communications Plan Ready to Handle a Pandemic?” by Gina Rubel
2. “How Will Your Marketing Evolve After COVID-19? Ask the Experts from LMA” featuring Barbara Malin, Jill Weber and Adam Severson
1. “A 30-Day Business Development Plan for Lawyers” by Jay Harrington
More Good Reads From Our Legal Marketing Columnists
If you aren’t already a subscriber, click here to be notified when new columns are published.
“Play to Win” Law Firm Marketing
Sally Schmidt — a founder and first president of the Legal Marketing Association — prepares you to win business and build your practice with smart strategies and business development tactics.
One of a Kind
Jay Harrington speaks directly to young lawyers and those building new practices, with timely advice on developing a niche practice and a winning personal brand. Jay is the author of “One of a Kind: A Proven Path to a Profitable Law Practice” and “The Essential Associate.”
GNGF’s Mark Homer kicked off his digital marketing primer this year, with in-depth advice on establishing your marketing strategy and protecting your referral network.
Nothing But the Ruth!
Attorney Ruth Carter often writes about marketing experiences and experiments marketing their law practice. You’ll find real-world blogging, networking and speaking tips, and Q&As with top marketers outside the legal profession.