The season is finally here. (Whew.) The endless NFL negotiations are, well, negotiated. The rookies have pushed through their two-a-days and preseason games—and we are at the coin flip. Last night the Packers showed they still have the championship stuff (no surprise there). Just three-and-a-half excruciating months to go before we see if they can repeat at Superbowl XLVI. As Bear Bryant used to say, “I’ll put you through hell, but at the end of it all we’ll be champions!” So let the games begin.
- Start with the basics. Check into the NFL and NCAA Football websites for more information about the teams, the players and the stats than you ever knew you needed. You can watch videos, read about the history of the game and catch breaking news about who will play and who is out for the season. It’s guaranteed you can start a rowdy dinner conversation by reading the Fearless Forecasts outloud.
- Settle the argument. We’re absolutely sure there’s someone in your household who knows absolutely everything there is to know about the rules of football. At least they think they do … right? Why not intercept the argument with some quick research at the official sites for the NFL and NCAA rules? There’s even a special page for the signals officials make. You can easily pass halftime comparing pro and college rules. They are way different. In fact this year’s pro rules are even different from last year’s pro rules. Better brush up on this new everything-on-instant-replay stuff. It promises to be weird.
- It’s all in your head. Can’t sit through the weekend marathon of game after game, but still like to keep your hand in? Or are you a control type, more interested in selecting, managing and coaching the team than standing on the sidelines? Sounds like you’re a perfect candidate for your office Fantasy Football league. Get a handle on the basics here, then show them who knows a thing or two about football. Did you know that the NFL is requiring stadiums to post FF stats on site this year?
- Go for the extra point. Football isn’t all Flea-flickers and Hail Marys. There’s also the food. Whether grilling in the stadium parking lot, prepping a feast in your man-cave or just munching right out of the bag, football food is every bit as evocative as the Shotgun and I-formations. If you’re going to be doing all that nervous eating, you might as well go gourmet and check out the Epicurious tailgating guide. If you’re only in it for the beer and would rather someone else clean up afterward, search Thrillist to find the best brewpubs and sports bars in your neighborhood.
- You’ve got to be a football hero to get along with the beautiful girls. Now, down to the really important stuff: what the tough guys are wearing. There’s a lot to talk about, including the not-actually-the-real-thing 2012 Nike NFL uniforms. Most are quite chuckle-worthy, though a couple would be pretty cool! High on the coolness scale are the actual 2011 uniforms for the Oregon Ducks. While often maligned, we think this round of Duck uniforms is absolutely perfect for young players raised on Halo and World of Warcraft!
Today’s the deadline to submit an Amici Brief for the ABA’s 2011 Blawg 100 survey. If you read and enjoy Attorney at Work, let them know!